Homemade Black Bean Veggie Burgers
1 (16 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
½ green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
½ onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled (or about 2-3 tsp minced garlic)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp Thai chili sauce or hot sauce (optional depending on your taste for spice)
½ cup bread crumbs
1. If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly oil a baking sheet
2. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
3. In a food processor, finely chop the bell pepper, onion and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the egg, chili powder, cumin and chili sauce
5. Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. M ix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide the mixture into four patties.
6. If grilling, place patties on foil and grill about 8 minutes each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet and bake about 10 minutes each side.
Servings per recipe: 4
Amount per serving: Calories: 198
Sodium: 607 mg
Fiber: 9 .8 g
Protein: 11.2 g